Closed Pre-Alpha Coming! Click Here Now!
This is a very exciting time for the Guild of Guardians community as the Pre-Alpha demo registrations just closed and soon there'll be an email going out to those who were selected to participate. Anyone who owned a GoG NFT when the last snapshot was taken and who also registered for the Pre-Alpha demo will automatically be included. Great news right!
Why am I worried then? The public announcement of a closed pre-alpha means there's an opportunity for scammers to start a campaign to get users to click on what they think will be links to download the pre-alpha, which could actually turn out to be malicious payloads. A sophisticated adversary may try to craft an executable that looks like a mobile phone app and trick members of the community to install keyloggers or other nasty malware.
You might start to see emails like the title of this blog post enticing you to click so you can be one of the first to preview the app.
When you get the email to join the Pre-Alpha please take a moment to do the following:
- Check the Guild of Guardians official discord to see if they've announced invitations have gone out.
- Post a message in general asking if anyone else received the invitation.
- Check that the email is from email@example.com.
- Double check that the email is from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Look closely at any link in the email and make sure it goes to something that makes sense.
- If you are asked to enter any information, like a password or a seedphrase, stop and reach out to the Guild of Guardians team directly on discord.
- Get a hash for any executable you download, hopefully that will be provided in the discord, so you can compare the hash of any file you download with the hash the GoG team provides.